Rotating pics of CACC campuses
July 28, 2016

Degree Works FAQ


What is DegreeWorks?

DegreeWorks is a Web-based tool for students to monitor their academic progress toward degree completion. DegreeWorks allows students and their advisors to plan future academic coursework.

What is an audit?

A DegreeWorks audit is a review of past, current and "planned" coursework that provides information on completed and outstanding requirements necessary to complete a degree/major/minor/concentration.

Can I access DegreeWorks on any computer?

Yes. Access to DegreeWorks is through the Web.

Is my information confidential?

Yes. DegreeWorks is accessed through your secure log in. Remember that selected College staff will be able to view the information contained in DegreeWorks.

Who has the ability to access DegreeWorks?

Currently, DegreeWorks is available to all degree-seeking undergraduate students. Advisors, faculty, and selected staff will also have access for the purpose of supporting your progress through your academic career.

How current will my information be in DegreeWorks?

The information in DegreeWorks is refreshed each night. Any changes made today (e.g., grade changes or classes added/dropped) will be seen in DegreeWorks tomorrow.

Can I register for classes in DegreeWorks?

No. DegreeWorks is a snapshot of courses in-progress, planned, and in academic history.

Can I see how many classes I have left to fulfill my requirements?

Yes. DegreeWorks is laid out in block format displaying degree, major, minor, and concentration requirements information. Look for unchecked boxes to identify requirements that you still need to complete.

Will I be able to plan for future courses?

Yes. See the Planner section for information.

Are my grades visible in DegreeWorks?

Yes. Once grades have been processed at the end of the semester, they are viewable in DegreeWorks following the nightly refresh. 

Can I see a list of all of the classes I’ve taken?

Yes. On the Audit tab, click on the Class History link at the top for a printable list of courses taken at CACC as well as transfer courses.

What do I do if I believe my academic information is incorrect?

You should consult your academic advisor for a review of your audit. Any exception to major requirements should be discussed with your advisor.

Why isn’t my information up-to-date?

There could be several reasons. One is that DegreeWorks may not have refreshed since a change was made (the information is refreshed nightly). Second, there could be some paperwork that needs to be completed. For example, if you have completed transfer courses, it is possible that Central Alabama has not received an official transcript or the coursework is pending review. Check with the Registrar if your transcript or audit does not reflect transfer work you have completed.

How can I update information?

You cannot update course information in DegreeWorks. To change your major, submit a Change of Major form in Student Services.  

If I have additional questions about DegreeWorks, whom do I contact?

You may contact the Registrar’s Office at 256-378-2003 or an advisor.

Using the Audit

Your audit will display the courses you've taken or are registered for and will show you any major requirements that are being met by the courses you've taken or that may be met upon satisfactory completion of courses in progress.

Will I be able to view my entire course history?

DegreeWorks uses the information that is current for your transcript. You will be able to view any courses that have been completed/registered for/transferred by the date your audit was last refreshed. (Data is refreshed nightly.) Keep in mind that any transfer work or grade changes that have not been formally submitted and accepted will not appear on your audit.

If I think my audit is incorrect, whom do I contact?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.

How do I know what classes I need to take?

Your audit will outline for you courses still needed to meet major requirements within each specific block. You may then use this information to discuss your plan with your academic advisor.

Why isn’t there a check mark next to a requirement I’ve already completed?

Your academic advisor is your primary point of contact. If your advisor determines that your audit is incorrect, he/she will contact the Registrar’s Office for assistance.

My record shows that my major is still undeclared but I have declared a major. Why doesn’t my major show?

Check with the Admissions Office at the location where you completed your paperwork. 

Why isn’t my transfer work meeting a requirement?

There could be two reasons. First, the course did not meet either the minimum number of credits and/or minimum grade requirement for use in your program of study. Second, all requirements have been met and this course is simply not needed.

If I withdraw from a class, will that be reflected in my audit?

Courses from which you have withdrawn will appear in the Insufficient block on your audit.

If all of the boxes are checked, does that mean I’m graduating?

Not necessarily. If you have applied to graduate, staff will perform a preliminary audit of your coursework. A final audit will be performed after all final grades have been submitted to determine if you are eligible to graduate.

What is the Planner feature?

The Planner is a tool for you to arrange course requirements into future semester blocks. You and your advisor may find this helpful as you forecast your academic career.

How do I create a plan?

  • By a split screen, the Planner allows you to drag and drop courses from your audit into future semester blocks. You can also type courses directly into the planner boxes. You must enter the course as it is labeled in the catalog (e.g., ENG 101, not English 101).
  • Alternatively, you may wish to begin your plan with a template, which will lay out a suggested plan of study semester-by-semester. To do this, in the right side "Student Educational Planner" column, click "Load in a pre-defined plan." Complete the necessary information to search for an appropriate plan. Note the search form is pre-populated with your curriculum data. Select the correct plan by Catalog year and click "Load into my plan." Once the plan is populated, edit as desired, then click "Save Plan" to retain the plan of study you developed.
  • Note that requirements beginning with a "- " are labels indicating what type of specific course should be used to fulfill that item in your plan.

Will putting courses in my planner change the way my audit looks?

No. Nothing entered on the Planner will affect your actual audit. You can, however, see how the courses you have entered in your planner will apply in your audit by checking the boxes next to the semester blocks that you wish to include (check all of the boxes to see how your audit will look if you complete your entire plan) and then clicking on Run a New Audit. In the audit on the left-hand side of the screen, you will see how the planned courses applied to the various major/minor/concentration requirements.

Can I create multiple plans?

Yes; however, only one plan at a time may be kept as an active plan. You should mark the plan that you expect to follow as your active plan. This information may be used by university administrators to determine the demand for various courses each term.

Will my plans be saved?

Yes. DegreeWorks will allow you to save all plans you create; however, only one plan may be marked as active.

Will my advisor be able to see my plan(s)?

  • Yes. Your advisor can see your plan(s) and participate with you in the planning process. There is a Notes feature, as well, for you and your advisor to keep additional information.
  • Your advisor may choose to lock your plan after discussing it with you. Once your plan is locked, you will need to return to your advisor to make any additional changes.

If I put a course in my planner, am I automatically registered for that course in that future semester?

No. Your planner is for planning purposes only. You will register on MyCACC.

Is the course I planned guaranteed for that future semester?

No. Your planner is for planning purposes only. Final course schedules are available to students online shortly before registration. If you discover that a course you had planned is not being offered, you should identify an alternative course and move the original course, if still needed, to a future term.

Can I print my plan?

Yes. There is a print button at the top of the planner.

What is the “What If” feature?

The “What If” function allows you to hypothetically change your major, minor, or concentration. The “What If” audit will show you what coursework is required for the new major, minor, or concentration, what courses you have taken that satisfy requirements, and what courses are still left for you to take.

If I use the “What If” feature does this mean that I have changed my major?

No. The “What If” function is for information purposes only. You will see the header “What If” Audit displayed at the top of the audit whenever an audit is run on a What If scenario.

I’m thinking of changing my major. Will I be able to see how my current classes fit into my “What If” major?

Yes. The “What If” function will perform an audit based on the hypothetical major and will show how your completed, current, and planned coursework meets the requirements of the hypothetical major.

Can my advisor see my “What If” scenario?

Since “What If” scenarios are not stored on DegreeWorks, your advisor can only see your results if the two of you work through a “What If” procedure together.

Can I view multiple “What If” scenarios on the same screen?

Yes. DegreeWorks will allow you to select more than one major at a time or to select multiple majors.

Can I save a “What If” scenario?

No. What If plans are not saved on DegreeWorks. You would need to run a new “What If” scenario next time you log in to see it again.

Can I print a “What If” scenario?

Yes. If you want to share it with your advisor at a later date, you should print your “What If” scenario.

If I like what I see in a “What If” scenario, how do I initiate the changes?

Always speak with your advisor first. After consulting with your advisor you will need to initiate changes to your major in the Admissions office.

What does the Term Calculator show?

The Term Calculator will show you your estimated cumulative GPA after you fill in hypothetical grade information. By putting in your current earned units and GPA and placing your in-progress courses in the table (this all will default in for you) along with the grade you anticipate receiving for each course; you will see a revised cumulative GPA based on the estimates you provided.

Is this calculated GPA guaranteed?

No. This is an estimate only.




Alexander City Campus
1675 Cherokee Rd

Alexander City, AL 35010
Fax: 256-215-4244

Childersburg Campus
34091 US Highway 280
Childersburg, AL 35044
Fax: 256-378-2027
Talladega Center
1009 South Street East
Talladega, AL 35160
Fax: 256-480-2081

          Financial Data         ♦         American Recovery and Reinvestment Act        ♦        State Board Policy 304.02