Educational Talent Search
Educational Talent Search
Educational Talent Search (ETS) is a federally funded program that serves students in grades nine through twelve who meet certain requirements. Those requirements are listed below. Two-thirds of our student members must meet both of these requirements with one-third of our student members meeting one requirement.
We are funded through a five year grant cycle and must submit an application for renewal every five years. Educational Talent Search operates through Central Alabama Community College on the Childersburg campus under the direction of Anita Mahaffey, Interim Director.
Precious Smith serves as the administrative assistant. ETS employs two part-time seminar instructors and five tutors. We provide our students with seminars on a variety of topics including setting goals, study skills, and career counseling. In addition, we provide individual tutoring, college admission and information concerning financial aid as well as preparation sessions for college entrance examinations. Furthermore, we provide field trips for the ETS members to college campuses, cultural events, museums and historically significant sites.
The requirements are as follows:
- You must meet the taxable income eligibility
- You must be a first generation college graduate
We serve the following school systems in our area.
- Alexander City School System
- Clay County School System
- Coosa County School System
- Sylacauga City School System
- Talladega County School System
- Tallapoosa County School System
We serve the following schools in our area.
- B.B. Comer Memorial High School
- Benjamin Russell High School
- Central High School of Coosa County
- Childersburg High School
- Central High School of Clay County
- Dadeville High School
- Lincoln High School
- Sylacauga High School
How to become an Educational Talent Search member.
- Go to your school counselor to get an application.
- Complete the application. Make sure nothing is left out.
- Return the application to your school counselor.
- The school counselor will review the application and add your transcript.
- The counselor will send your application to the ETS department at CACC.
- Your application will be reviewed by ETS staff.
- If you meet all of the requirements, you will receive a letter congratulating you on becoming an Educational Talent Search member.
For more information regarding the Educational Talent Search Program, please contact:
Mrs. Anita Mahaffey, Interim Director
Central Alabama Community College
34091 U.S. Hwy. 280
Childersburg, AL 35044