Skip To Content
Central Alabama Community College to provide Debt Forgiveness through The American Rescue Plan


Central Alabama Community College to provide Debt Forgiveness through The American Rescue Plan

Alex City- The Higher Education Emergency Relief Fund III (HEERF III) is authorized by the American Rescue Plan (ARP), Public Law 117-2, signed into law on March 11, 2021, providing $39.6 billion in support to institutions of higher education to serve students and ensure learning continues during the COVID-19 pandemic.

Central Alabama Community College (CACC) will use special institutional funding received from the U.S. Department of Education’s Higher Education Emergency Relief Funds (HEERF) from The American Rescue Plan (ARP) to forgive the balances of 102 students totaling $83,687.​27. This debt forgiveness will pave the way for students to continue their education if they so desire.

“We are glad to be able to help our students with debt relief through this grant,” Jeff Lynn, president of CACC mentioned.

“This has been an extremely difficult year for everyone. This grant will allow these students to continue their educational paths without putting themselves in a financial bind.”

In addition, CACC will be distributing approximately $1.7 million additional HEERF stimulus payments to students in the coming academic year. Students who are enrolled and who qualify under the American Rescue Plan (ARP) will receive these additional funds during the semester(s) in which they are enrolled. This additional money will be paid directly to students and may be used for any aspect of their education — tuition, food, housing, course material, technology, healthcare, childcare, and other expenses.

The majority of CACC students will be qualified for the award under federal guidelines. The College will use existing enrollment information to allocate funds, which will be automatically distributed to all qualified students, including high school students taking classes with CACC through the Dual Enrollment Program. Students do not need to contact the College to request these funds.

For more information contact Brett Pritchard at 256-215-4254 or